Friday, January 7, 2011

Sheetrock and Redesign Makes an Old Kitchen New Again

Chelsea Kitchen 4
The Christopher McDaniel Homes decision to remodel the kitchen happened so fast that I forgot to take any real "Before" photos but trust me, this kitchen was horrible !! 
During the demo of the walls I removed 2 layers of wood laminate paneling with the latest layer being some crappy looking Home Depot kitchen panels that were very poorly installed then remove some old plaster and 1 old wall of sheetrock that was gouged and had 3 different layers of wallpaper on it.

Then I moved on to the ceiling which was tiled in that old 1 x 1 ft square accoustic stuff. Thinking that the ceiling tiles were only stapled , I intended only to get back to the horse hair plaster surface, repair it and paint it. Once I saw the tiles were glued and 2 large patches of plaster were all ready loose I made the decision to demo out the plaster ceiling and sheetrock it. This is when the remodeling plans took a major turn.
 
After the ceiling was removed I could see through the wood lathe and realized that by the design of the house that we could easily raise the ceiling height in this room. I knew this kitchen was part of the original house in 1850, but I could never understand just how they added the side rooms on to it. What they did was build an entire new roof over the existing old roof. It was a strange way to do it but now I would call it an accidental stroke of genius!